Phil and I have taken today off work for a long weekend, the weather has been lovely the last few days so thought we might get a day at the allotment while the kids are at school so we can get some jobs done.
I have done the frame for the bean teepee. It’s now ready for the climbing beans, we only have 3 plants ready to be planted out, but hoping some more will germinate soon (I’ve done a second lot of seeds). The kids will help me plant them out at the weekend.
We have blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes still in pots (they will be planted out this autumn but we keep changing our minds where they are going). Last summer the strawberry plants went wild and sent runners to all the currant bush pots. So today I removed all the strawberry plants from the pots added some compost and mulched the pots. I then made a strawberry patch (in the kids area of the allotment).
Hopefully they will survive me moving them. We have at least 3 different types, hoping that they don’t go as wild as last year and the kids can help water and pick them themselves (we never grow enough strawberries to take home, they always get eaten by the kids on the allotment).
Phil has turned over nearly all of the allotment and we have an area ready for potatoes, which will get planted this weekend, weather permitting.
I also got some of Lottie’s flowers planted out (gladioli) which have been planted near the fence.
We got some rhubarb from the allotment and when we picked the kids up from school Lottie has made a rhubarb crumble for dessert tonight.
Plans for the weekend include;
Planting the potatoes (at last)
Kids planting the climbing beans
Ryan planting carrots in his raised bed
Planting the broad beans and planting more broad bean seeds
Lottie planting some more flowers and her herb garden.
Attach the gate (it’s just for show at the moment, but we finally have the hinges to get it up)
Sort out the mushroom log.